Monday, December 12, 2011

Soups On!

So since my blogging has been a little scant lately, I gave myself the goal this week to post two blog entries by the end of the week.  After being on such a hiatus, two blog entries in one week is quite the challenge for me.  I decided I’m going to start working toward my goal by posting the “easier” of the two entries, because, let’s be honest here…I’d much rather spend some time on Facebook or Pinterest.

Speaking of Pinterest…

Pinterest is good for a lot of things (and not good for a lot of other things…such as, it’s a major time waster and I have to really guard myself from getting into major comparison mode).  I’ve gleaned some choice nuggets from many a pin, and it rouses my creativity juices big time.  Since being active on Pinterest, I have found it to be so helpful with my meal planning!  There is a wealth of foodie ideas that motivate me to get out of my same-old-same-old dinnertime rut.

We’re headed into the deep, dark, cold months of winter, and I have been on a soup kick lately.  I love soups!  They’re WAY easy to make, and generally they have a majority of the food groups in them so that means less dinner prep for me!  WOO HOO! 

I’ve been in the market to find a White Chicken Chili recipe that is both easy and flavorful.  I found this soupalicious gem the other week during my Pinterest perusal.    


Now that I have your mouth watering, here’s the recipe.  Props to the original poster can be found by clicking HERE.  Enjoy!

White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cups cooked chicken (I usually use an oven-baked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to save on time), shredded
  • 2 cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 box (32 ounces) chicken broth
  • Kosher salt (to taste)
  • Pepper (to taste)
  • 1 lime, juice

Directions:

  1. In a large pot, sauté the onion and cook until it starts to become translucent.
  2. Once the onion is done, add shreds of chicken, Great Northern Beans, corn, green chilies (with juice from can), cumin and oregano to the large pot. Stir to combine all of the ingredients and then add the chicken broth.
  3. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow the broth to reduce. Add salt and pepper (to taste) and juice from one whole lime. (You can add 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro if you desire. I personally don't like cilantro so I serve it as a side.)
  4. Leave simmering on stove until ready to serve.
  5. Serve with sour cream, chopped cilantro, shredded Pepper Jack cheese, avocado, or tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment